Wines of Germany Announces Another Four New "Riesling Fellows"
The evening, organised on the occasion of the German pavilion at Vinexpo Hong Kong 2018, saw the announcement of four new members to the Riesling Fellowship. In 2018, Wines of Germany recognised the following trade and media representatives for their dedication and passion for German Riesling:
- Stephen Brook, wine writer - United Kingdom
- Fongyee Walker, Master of Wine - PR China
- Eisaku Kurokawa, Fushimi Wines - Japan
- Dr. Hoon Choi, Editor Wine Review - South Korea
The four-course dinner, hosted by The Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture together with the German Wine Institute, was accompanied by top Riesling wines as well as other German grape varieties, such as Spätburgunder, Weißburgunder and Silvaner.
Monika Reule, CEO of the German Wine Institute, commented, “Hong Kong is such a great place to celebrate the Riesling Fellowship with many influencers of the global wine business.
The honorees are joining an exclusive group of 23 Riesling Fellows from around the globe. Since its introduction in 2013, members of the Riesling Fellowship represent the world’s preeminent German Riesling experts and advocates. Past Fellows include importers, members of the trade, journalists, writers and critics – including Jancis Robinson, Hugh Johnson and Jeannie Cho Lee - all of whom have contributed to enhancing the image of German Riesling on a global scale.”
Overview of all "Riesling Fellows"
- David Schildknecht, wine critic, USA
- Rudi Wiest, Rudi Wiest Selections, USA
- Terry Theise, Terry Theise Estate Selections, USA
- Jeannie Cho Lee, Master of Wine, Hongkong
- Katsuyuki Tanaka, journalist, Japan
- Ian Ford, Summergate, China
- Hisashi and Takahiro Yamano, Herrenberger Hof, Japan
- Albert De Jong, wine expert and journalist, Netherlands
- Paul Grieco, sommelier and wine catering, USA
- Stuart Pigott, wine journalist and writer, UK
- Hew Blair, wine trade Justerini & Brooks, UK
- Sebastian Thomas, wine trade Howard Ripley, UK
- Jancis Robinson MW, wine journalist and writer, UK
- Hugh Johnson OBE, wine journalist and writer, UK
- Freddy Price, wine expert and writer, UK
- Iris Ellmann, wine trade The Wine Barn, UK
- David Motion, wine trade The Winery, UK
- Nigel Blundell, wine trade Siegel Wine Agencies, UK