German Wines and Asian Cuisine
Wine Recommendation: Riesling or Weißburgunder for salt, Medium bodied Spätburgunder for dipping sauce.
Large prawns 4 (100g)
Shishito pepper (or green pepper) 4 pieces
Lotus root 4 slices (50g)
Sweet potato 4 slices
Egg yolk 1
Flour 1 cup
Cold water 1 cup
Soy sauce 2 tbsp
Dashi soup 150 ml
Sugar 1 pinch
1. Peel the shell off the prawn, trimming but not removing the tail, and de-vein. Cut vegetables into thick pieces and sizes that are easy to fry.
2. Put the egg yolk in water and mix until even. Put in flour and mix it with a fork, leaving some lumps of flour (do not over-mix).
3. Put flour over the prawns ligthly.
4. Heat the deep-frying oil to around 180°C. Dip prawns and vegetables into the batter mixture then add carefully to oil in batches. Deep-fry for 2-3 minutes until they become crisp.
5. Mix all ingredients for dipping sauce in a pan and bring to the boil for 1-2 minutes. Set aside.