Germany's Outstanding Wine Gastronomies Awarded
As part of the competition, the expert jury honored
- the Restaurant Hotel Kronenschlösschen from Hattenheim in the Rheingau (near Frankfurt) as the winner in the Gourmet category
- In fine dining, the prize went to the Reisers am Stein restaurant in Würzburg which is located in the northern part of Franken/Bavaria
- The wine bar Eastgrape in Frankfurt am Main was awarded in the category wine gastronomy
- The jury voted the vinocentral in Darmstadt (close to Frankfurt) as the best international gastronomy in the competition, and in the hotel gastronomy category
- The Heimat restaurant in the 25Hours Hotel Hafencity in Hamburg emerged as the winner
- The winner in the general/regional gastronomy category is the restaurant Nobelhart & Schmutzig Berlin
Great achievements and commitment of the awardees
The eighth edition of this competition was again shaped by the corona pandemic. "We have extended the opportunities to participate in the competition due to the special situation in the catering industry last year, which is why the winners are only being announced now. However, this doesn't diminish the special achievements and the commitment of the awardees," explained DWI Managing Director Monika Reule. “For wine lovers, the excellent wine restaurants are recommended addresses to be able to enjoy the variety of local wines skilfully presented with great food. It's great to see how the appreciation of our wines and sparkling wines in all areas of gastronomy continues to grow from year to year," says Reule.
Highest quality standards judged by a jury
The jury included SELTERS Managing Director Otto J. Völker, Gabriele Heins, Deputy Editor-in-Chief of DER FEINSCHMECKER magazine, as well as sommeliers like Christina Fischer, Paula Bosch and Gunnar Tietz. In addition to the scope and quality of the wine range, factors such as pricing, employee training, the options for serving wine by the glass or wine events are decisive for the jury's verdict.
The awards will be presented throughout the year in the on-site restaurants in the presence of a jury member. The respective eulogies for the award winners can be seen below.
The award for the "Outstanding Wine Gastronomy" is endowed with €3,000 each, which can be used for campaigns related to German wine. In addition, the award winners can hire The German Wine Queen to moderate and accompany wine events.
Die Preisträger „Ausgezeichnete Weingastronomie 2021“ im Überblick:
Gourmet Category: Hotel Kronenschlösschen, Hattenheim
Fine Dingin Category: Reisers am Stein, Würzburg
Wine Gastronomy Category: EAST GRAPE Weinbar, Frankfurt
International Gastronomy Category: vinocentral, Darmstadt
Hotelgastronomy Category: Restaurant "Heimat" (Homeland) - 25Hours Hotel Hafencity, Hamburg
Regional Gastronomy Category: Speiselokal Nobelhart & Schmutzig, Berlin